Weddings in Slovenia


How difficult is it to arrange the paperwork for a wedding in Slovenia and what should you know before booking your civil ceremony in Slovenia? What are the formalities involved?

Civil wedding ceremony at Lake Bled Slovenia

As a Slovenia wedding planner, I see it as one of my foremost duties to make sure all legal requirements are met, and all formalities for the civil ceremony arranged well ahead of the wedding. If you’re a foreigner getting married in Slovenia, what should you know and what do you have to arrange before and after the wedding?

  1. Book the registrars.

Once you’ve found your ideal venue, it’s essential that you check the availability of the registrars and book the desired date and time for your ceremony with them. The timing and process depend on the registry office in question; it might take a simple e-mail sent by your wedding planner or you might have to file the request in person, in possession of all required paperwork.

  1. Enquire about necessary paperwork.

Generally speaking, you will have to provide new copies of your birth certificates, single status certificates and certificates of no impediment, but the paperwork varies slightly depending on the country of your birth and your nationality, and might have to be legalised for use in Slovenia.

  1. Have the paperwork translated and book the interpreter.

Your paperwork has to be translated into Slovene by a sworn court interpreter and an interpreter is required for both the filing of the application with the registry office and for the ceremony itself.

  1. File the application.

Make an appointment with the registry office in question to officially file the application for the wedding. Make sure you have all the required documents with you as you visit them (your passports and, depending on the registry office, your paperwork and the venue’s permit).

  1. Pay the registrars’ fee.

If you’re getting married in a so-called “non-official” venue such as a hotel or similar, the registry office will issue a permit upon which you must pay the registrars’ fee. This is to be done a week before the wedding at the latest.

  1. Get international marriage certificates and register your marriage at home.

Make sure you are issued an international marriage certificate and have it legalised for use in your country if required. After the wedding, register your marriage back at home.

Should you require the help of an experienced wedding planner, please contact us at, we will be happy to provide detailed information and assist in any way we can.